Thursday, March 7, 2019

Hook, Line, and Sinker


Interviews were important. How much resume does anyone have at twenty-one? You need something to set yourself apart from the herd. I decided to apply for the job of refilling vending machines. It was a small vendor with just one contract, the seven acre IBM plant. Fill, clean, and repair broken machines alone in the dark until 3 a.m. I had never seen vending machine innards but I needed work and it wasn't going to cost me anything to try. I reported on time to the owner’s home. He was in a wheel chair wearing nothing but a towel and dripping wet from the shower. The languid interview told me this was a chore he detested. He knew nothing of mechanics which made it difficult to show him that I did. He shelved his decision, I walked outside, looked at the sky in disgust, then looked at my ’69 Cadillac Fleetwood. This will make a dandy prop. Turn the key but not long enough to start the engine. Do it again. Raise the hood and get my tools from the trunk. Crawl under the car and remove the starter making lots of superfluous clanking noises. Rub a little grease on my face and knock on the door, starter in hand. "Sir, my starter died. There is a Hi-Lo Auto Parts at the end of the block. May I leave my car in your driveway just long enough to get a new starter? Thank you.” Walk down the block with the starter, a can of WD-40 and a rag in my pocket. Spray the starter all over and wipe it clean. Walk back and reinstall the “new” starter. Don't forget the clanking noises. Crank her up and let her hum. As I'm packing up to leave a teenage boy comes outside and says, "My dad asked if you could come back inside for a minute." I smile. Hook, Line, and Sinkaaaahhh!!!!…free Twinkies all summer.

A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that individuality is the key to success. – Robert Orben

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines. – Larry the Cable Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment