Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Fly Me to the Moon


We lived next to the airport as NASA was starting up. When the astronauts came to town they stayed in a motel on Telephone Road called the Skylane Inn. It had a cocktail lounge with a neon sign that read "Orbit Room". I remember riding my bike over there and just staring at it from the other side of the road. My parents would not tell me what was in the Orbit Room but they assured me none of the astronauts would go into that part of the motel. When I asked my elderly school teacher, she would only say with a sniff, "That is where Frank Sinatra would loiter if he stayed in that motel." Of course, all my grade school teachers, when asked where babies came from, told us they were found in the cabbage patch. That was confusing since no one on the bayou had a cabbage patch. The critters would eat it up in one night.
A memorandum is written not to inform the reader but to protect the writer. - unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment