Friday, May 17, 2019

When it's nice, do it twice.


I had no idea that whole chickens are often sold with the organs returned to the cavity….gizzards, livers, whatever. We were grilling for Sandy’s family on the back porch. I flipped the raw gizzards to our dog, Nova. Isn’t that what you do with them?  You can’t pay me to eat organ meat. I burned everything else. I have never been any good with grills. It was the first and probably the last time we had the family cookout at our place. But we had fun as usual.

Sandy, Butch, and I went somewhere in the brown Ford pick-up. Butch rode shotgun and Nova sat on the floorboard with his head on Sandy’s lap. Just as we were driving under the freeway, Nova calmly refunded his lunch. Sandy was wearing shorts and her legs were closed so it made this slimy pool of up-chuck with a team of gizzards doing the back stroke. She screamed and Butch joined her. I said, “Cover your face and don’t open your legs! We are right in front of a gas station with a water hose.” Butch was out the window up to his armpits gasping for air. In the twenty seconds it took me to turn in and jump out, Nova slurped up every gizzard and every drop of barf with his tongue darting in and out of her legs. All she could do was howl with her hands over her face. I think Nova was starting to howl with her. I looked in the cab but it was over. There was Sandy all clean and shiny with dog lick, Butch still moaning, and Nova wagging his tail.

Dogs are a hoot.

Never have more children than you have car windows. - Erma Bombeck

Everything is funny, as long as it's happening to somebody else. - Will Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment